Monday, May 17, 2010

First Quilt Ever

My favorite craft blog in the world is Obsessively Stitching.  She is so creative and most of the projects are inexpensive which is always a plus.  A few weeks ago she started a tutorial called "First Quilt Ever".  I wanted to join, but I was barely managing to brush my teeth every day and take care of Landon let alone start a pieced quilt.  About 2 weeks into the tutorial, I felt the craft itch really, really strong.  It was rainy Saturday and Ryan was watching Landon.  I started looking through my many, many boxes of fabric to see if I could find fabric in a box that would work.  And then I the idea came.  Back in 2001 when we first started trying to get pregnant, the Blue Jean Teddy Bear was really popular.  Every fabric store had tons of fabric.  And I bought it up a little here, a little there, and little more over there.  And I ended up with an entire box of Blue Jean Teddy Bear Fabric.  Back in 2001 when I had no idea it would take more than 3 months to get pregnant, Ryan and I hand quilted a Blue Jean Teddy Bear baby quilt. (I know, I made Ryan help me...) A quilt to be used for our first baby.  And then I made bumper pads.  Now I have about 4 or 5 Blue Jean Teddy Bear quilts put away waiting to be used.  Plus I have a box full of coordinating fabric. I've match it up and have 7 more Blue Jean Teddy Bear quilts ready to be made. 


So in that lovely box, I found remants and pieces of fabric, 9 in all and I decided to go for it.  I was going to make the quilt with my Blue Jean Teddy Bear fabric.  It took me 3 days, but I busted out the steps and got l caught up. 

And there it sits, in my craft room, waiting for the border (which I need to take a picture of it pieced together).  I got distracted with several other projects while I was waiting for the next step on Obsessively Stitching.  And I just haven't made it back to it yet.  And partly because I'm scared. I don't want to mess it up.  I worked so hard on it and it looks so good, I'm afraid I'll ruin it when I start the dreaded machine quilting.

3 comments:

Care said...

Do it! Do it!! You can do it!!! :o) How's that for a cheering section?

Don't be intimidated; the quilting really isn't all that bad! Come check out the flickr group -- there are a few finished quilts there, with first attempts at quilting, and they are FABULOUS!

You can do it!! :oD

Aunt Spicy said...

Congrats! It looks so fun! Cant wait to see the finished quilt!

craftytammie said...

i know - it's scary! my seam ripper gets way too much attention around here. but if you don't jump in, you never get to the finished quilt! go for it!